I Forge Iron

1975 Mankel forge and anvil

Hi All,

Just picked up a  Mankel  two burner blown forge and a 98.5lbs Mankel anvil. The person I got them from was a Farrier and bought them new in 1975, he doesn't remember what he paid. Included in the deal were two hardies a half round 1 7/16 marked "Diamond RH-2" and a straight 1 1/2 marked "Diamond CH-2". I paid $290 for the lot. Did I pay to much or did I get a good deal. The inside of the forge is worn from use but still usable.It gets hot quick, in another post I'll show ya the incredibly complicated control system I came up with. The anvil cleaned up nice, the face is flat and the edges are sharp, and it has a beautiful ring to it. 

Marc 

post-25677-0-51113100-1378738119_thumb.j

post-25677-0-68137200-1378738145_thumb.j

post-25677-0-51926600-1378738588_thumb.j

post-25677-0-60186700-1378738666_thumb.j

Yes,

An excellent deal. Good score.

I started out in 1980 with the same stuff. Back then that same anvil which I still have cost $400 new. Served me well for many years. Shod a lot of horses and made a lot of things with it. The double cliphorn is a nice feature to accomodate a lefty if necessary. Some guys don't like the flattish horn or it's being hollow. They were the biggest complaints. I never found either of those things to be a problem. It was nice for throwing in and out of a truck yet big enough to do anything I ever needed to do including making shoes for heavy drafts.

The forge was one of the first commercially available gas forges. Although there are better ones out there (most guys prefer venturi blown atmospheric) it is still a good useable forge that will sure enough get your metal hot.

George

I bought the big brother to that forge (4" wider) at about that time - I still have it and use it along with two newer ones although I did convert it to a venturi. The forge is easy to reline if necessary. I don't recall the price. I'd say you got a good price on the anvil and the forge was a gift (or vice-versa).