I Forge Iron

Mokume-Gane

oldanvilyoungsmith

excellent work! is that sheet copper and nickel, or the government issue pre-packaged ones? :) did you heat patinate (assuming that's what you did to get the red's on the left cross in the second pic) and did you put any kind of protective finish on them?

are they sawcut from a larger flat piece?

Lol, yeah, they're "prepackaged"   I've yet to find a good source for the raw materials.

And yes, I like to give the mokume a "kickstart" in the patina with a heat coloring. But I leave it bare so that it can patina naturally. I like the aged look of it.

Also, yes, I fused the layers together, and folded several times for a pattern, then hammered it out and cut the crosses from it.

I actually like to use both methods to get a good pattern.

I fold several times (twice in this case) to get some patterning, more, and thinner layers. Then I drill shallow divots on both sides and file random grooves over both sides. Hammering it flat exposes the patterns from those. 

The divots make a nice ringed pattern, and the grooves turn into lines.  I then hammer it out to the needed thickness, once there, it's got a nice random pattern.