I Forge Iron

Lining a pot, no natural clay. What to use?

KYBOY

Im in need of lining a fire pot but I don't have access to natural clay..Believe it or not clay is just not a frequently occurring natural material here,,What morters or manmade materials do you use to clay firepots with?

Some folk use betanite clay from cat litter (I know I mis spelled it) I don't like it because its to expansive (expends when wet) so it's prone to have large cracks on drying. You can buy fire clay from a masonry supply, or koline from a pottery supply.
Otherwise stove cement woks, as dose castable refractory.
Some swear by cement mixes. I don't like them because the com rest turns back to cement when you get it real hot.

I haven't used this, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.  On another thread we were talking about the kitty litter and water solution for clay.  I was at the auto parts store yesterday and saw a 50 lb bag of generic oil-dry.  The ingredient was 100% Fuller's Earth...clay.  Cheaper than cheap kitty litter and finer grained to boot.

Bentonite is frequently used by well drillers to set well casings. You might stop by a local driller and ask if they will sell you a bag. As mentioned most comercial masonry supply houses will carry fire clay.