I Forge Iron

Newbie in Mississippi

Hello all,

My name is James.  Happily married to my wife of 12 years with three sweet loving and creative little girls.  I'm new to blacksmithing and am just now getting tools and other what-nots together.  I've done a little tinkering around on a RR track "anvil" but nothing that I would consider as true blacksmithing work.  Just a little about myself:  my family and I live on a small "farm" with horses, goats, rabbits, chickens, dogs and cats.  I've recently begun doing all the farrier work on our horses and plan to start making our own shoes to shoe our Tenn. Walkers.  Living on a small farm presents many blacksmithing opportunities, and I plan to take what knowledge I glean from this site and from talking with other smiths and apply them for my own purposes.  You can say I'm a huge DIY'er.  I'm a Freemason (Past Master of Pontotoc Lodge #81 F.&A.M. under the Grand Lodge of Mississippi) so I'd like to extend a hardy "hi-ya" to all the Brethren that may be here.  We're good country folk that loves to hunt, fish, and raise as much of our own food as possible.  I'm eager to learn and willing to try new things.  I look forward to engaging in good conversation here!