I Forge Iron

Scored a Megaforge 2

stuarthesmith

Wow, the original thread posted three days ago disappeared, so I am doing this over again.  I was looking that day in CL Pennsylvania, and spied an advertisement for a forge, blacksmith tools, and coal, all with NO pictures.  Needless to say, the guy with the "stuff" didn't get a lot of calls with NO pictures.  I got there, and I see the biggest forge I have ever seen in my life.  It is a Buffalo downdraft forge, which consists of four cast iron panels, with BUffalo Forge Logo, which bolt together to form a box.  Each of the four panels weigh 150 pounds at least.  Atop the box fits a steel table, consisting of 3/4 inch plate, which serves as the forge table.  Two hinged doors sit atop the table, which open, allowing the blacksmith to store long fire tools vertically.  The firepot(a real COAL EATER), is a cast iron ring, 24 inches in diameter and over a foot tall, sits atop the table, with five inch deep slots in the ring to accommodate barstock from both sides.  The first set of photos show the forge in pieces, which weighed in excess of a thousand pounds unassembled.  Now here is the kicker!  I was meant to get this forge, it was my DESTINY.  I asked the guy where he got the forge, and he said a refinery auction.  I asked him if that auction was in 1982, the day after a big blizzard.  He affirmed my suspicion.  Turns out my f-600 truck was stuck in a snowdrift, buried axle-deep in mud and snow, so I had to watch HELPLESSLY while this guy bought that forge at the FMC Machinery auction where they manufactured nylon at this same refinery, 31 years ago!  This was MEANT to be, almost like a machine of FATE!  Notice that the firepot is so big, it barely fits in a wheelbarrow!

2658-A.jpg

post-10332-0-85466900-1376223428_thumb.j

post-10332-0-71357200-1376223462_thumb.j

post-10332-0-40112600-1376223521_thumb.j

post-10332-0-24483000-1376223557_thumb.j

As promised three days ago, here are pictures of the assembled forge.  Other participants in these photos are my 18 year old student Ashe, who, with his father helped me to assemble this monster.  I couldn't figure out how to assemble the cast iron hood, so I sent these pictures to the guy who sold it to me, and he told me how to assemble the downdraft hood.

Now here is the rest of the story.  He also had a humongous Champion tire shrinker/upsetter, which I purchased three days later, because it was so heavy I couldn't move it in the same car with the thousand pound forge I had just purchased.  I am selling the upsetter in the next couple of days on the IFI tailgating section.  It is HEAVY but BEAUTIFUL!  I also allowed my student to buy from the guy a champion rivet forge pan, a bucket of beautifully made tongs, and a beautiful industrial forge hood made out of plate which wouldn't fit in my car(a backup cowl for my megaforge).  I am not adverse to helping youngsters to acquire blacksmith tools which I find for them, especially since he is such an earnest young man.  His dad, who took these pictures, fully supports his son's "adventures" into blacksmithing!

post-10332-0-11003300-1376224995_thumb.j

post-10332-0-48001200-1376225021_thumb.j

post-10332-0-57307100-1376225057_thumb.j

post-10332-0-42150000-1376225091_thumb.j

Amazing how short blacksmiths of old must have been if that forge was a comfortable working height for them. 

Have you figured out the hood, yet?  How long til you have a fire in her?  Any thoughts on what will be her inaugural project?

this particular forge is LOW because heavy iron needs to be LIFTED up on the forge table and off the forge table to hit it.  Big anvils, back in the day, which saw a lot of sledge hammer work, were set up BELOW knuckle height for that reason.  The stock heated in THIS forge was probably lifted out of the coal fire with a boom crane, right to the big NAZEL which was in that particular shop.  Yes, I have the hood figured out!  The guy I bought it from explained how to assemble it, so I am GOOD TO GO!

Hey Stewart- congrats on the score. I grabbed a bunch of tongs from him and saw the hood still there (Sat AM) That thing was huge! Also saw the blower housing- pretty cool.

I'd love to see it all set up and functional sometime. Did you take the coal off his hands??

Steve

Steve, I have 16 tons of coal currently.  He still has the coal for sale...............a golden opportunity for those who cannot find coal for their forges.

BTW, the forge is set up and functional now.  That hood you saw was a spare, I have the original cast iron one attached to the assembled forge already.  I sold the extra hood you saw to my student, as well as the rivet forge pan you undoubtedly saw.  He also bought the remainder of the tongs from kevin, as well as that real nice handled punch you left there.  There is ANOTHER guy in Ridley Park who has a ton of blacksmith stuff, I will post that info after I try to buy it!