I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing under Maggie Thatcher

Hi folks, when Maggie Thatcher died it prompted me to wonder if the strikes and closures during her time in government affected blacksmithing/blacksmiths in the UK? I was born in 1985 so obviously I don't remember.

I thought I'd leave it a while before asking the question as I didn't want to stir up a political argument. That is still true and I am asking this without any bias and with a genuine historical interest and am simply asking for objective recollections.

That is the main reasion we don't have decent coal for forging with, Grimesthorpe, Barnsley, South Wales and other coal sources disappeared.

Steel manufacturing in the major areas like Sheffield, North of England, Wales also declined,

Apprenticeships declined along with the industrial manufacturing base the UK used to be world leaders in

Not political, just factual.

we don't have decent coal for forging with

What's wrong with the coal we have? Do we mainly buy from abroad now then?

So with a reduction of available coal and steel where there any practical implications? For example did 'smiths switch to gas forges? Did the type of commissions 'smiths were offered or 'smiths accepted change in any way?

What's wrong with the coal we have? Do we mainly buy from abroad now then?

So with a reduction of available coal and steel where there any practical implications? For example did 'smiths switch to gas forges? Did the type of commissions 'smiths were offered or 'smiths accepted change in any way?

As a youngster, I think you are referring to one man or small smithing operations, blacksmiths were employed across many manufacturing and maintenence industries, these sections are what Mrs T put into decline.

The coke on sale is from a by product of the chemical industry and only available from one source in the UK

You can use almost any coal for fuel, some are perceived as superior to others,

Specified "Forging coal" is currently being imported from Poland for sale in this country, (No names no advertising)

With regard to the increase in use of gas forges, they were always used in industry, as was induction heating

Types of smithing and commissions have always been relative to the smith and their clients, and to survive the 'smith will change their marketing/production strategy to suit the prevailing and future market, available or created.

The advantage we as individuals have, is our versatility and ability to cater for more than one market, and to switch as required to maximise on the current market/trend/fashion