I Forge Iron

I know what I'll be using this for....

I picked this tool, unhandled, at the flea market last week for a grand total of $5. I plan on using it as a handled center punch, not that I've ever felt the need for such a "set" tool, usually the biggest handheld center punch from a Horror Fright set suffices, but I couldn't just leave it sitting there.

I can see this tool doing some drift duty as well, to at least get me started on the ring for a bottle opener or such. It will surely leave a mark that will be visible on hot steel

About the handle, coming home a few years ago with a pile of punches and swages from a garage sale, I mentioned to the then 8 yr old daughter that "I'll be needing a bunch of hammer handles for all these set tools". 

That Christmas I was gifted a pile of decorated hammer handles by that kid, with some spray paint help from her mom and her own magic marker enhancements.  Tremendously proud dad is down the the last one or two from the half dozen she'd made.

But with close a decade of looking at and lusting after smithing tools, and if I might blow my own horn, getting pretty good at recognizing them, I've never seen a pointed punch made for a handle, has anyone else?

post-182-0-64165100-1374605429_thumb.jpg