I Forge Iron

New Tool Cart!

Just finished my new tool/welder/cutoff saw cart and thought I would share. I have a very small work area and EVERYTHING has to be mobile so I have been needing one of these for a while now. And ps if anybody has figured how to make a 150 lb anvil mobile please let me know..... holy cow.... Anyways here are a few pics

post-37219-0-69169800-1372925765_thumb.j

post-37219-0-62957700-1372925892_thumb.j

post-37219-0-85036000-1372926035_thumb.j

my anvils a 167lb Peter wright & 213lb Hay budden. PW is on stump and HB is on metal stand. I move them around the shop or take them outside with a 2 wheeled utility cart. Just have to make sure the tires are aired up.

The first two pictures are of my anvil and the really simple overly heavy hinges I made early in my blacksmithing career and which are still serving me well just as of yesterday and hopefully long into the future.  The rest are of others anvils that I have run across in my time visiting people.  In the background you can see a 400 lb anvil at one of my fellow smiths shops that inspired my anvil.  It moves around like a dream when the wheels are down and sits securely when the wheels are up.  

http://s48.photobucket.com/user/nicrom/library/Ideas%20on%20Mobile%20equipment?sort=6&page=1

Ha ya I got those wheels from the local scrap yard, and no my neighbors trash cans all have their own wheels... I have tried using a hand truck to no avail, the way the stand is angled it just wants to slip and fall off... id like to find a way to make something that could just slip under it and move it that way and then remove it when its where I need it

The local Safeway has excellent two wheel carts for taking groceries to your car. Two large bicycle like wheels and two small casters on front. I've been lusting after one or two for my shop. It'd be perfect for my torch tanks. Stil, I picked up an ld defunct wheel chair at a garage sale a while back that's slated to become a torch cart.

Moving anvils isn't hard at all, that's what teenagers are for aren't they?

Frosty The Lucky.

I was actually looking for a long while for the better one that I modeled my one after and I know I have some somewhere but I can't find it.  That was the large anvil in the background pictures.  On that one the hinges are only like 4 inches?  or so by like 1.5 feet?  and it works so much better then mine.  

http://s48.photobucket.com/user/nicrom/media/Ideas%20on%20Mobile%20equipment/IMG_5813_zpsebf47ca0.jpg.html

This is how it sits when in use.  I really should remake the hinges so they don't stick out so much but they haven't ever been a problem so far and in some ways help me to get it on to the wheels.

I added some pictures.  They are the best I could find of my anvil and a few of the plate before it became the rolled hinges.

http://s48.photobucket.com/user/nicrom/library/Ideas%20on%20Mobile%20equipment?sort=6&page=1

awesome thanks for the links. The anvil stand I have is the one that was with my anvil when I got it and the more I learn about anvil stands the more im seeing how underbuilt mine is.... just a simple 4 leg design out of 1 1/2x1 1/2x1/4 angle. Total weight is very very light compared to what Im seeing being used everywhere else. So now to start from scratch and think up a new stand design. Stump, 4x4's bolted together or a new steel one, no idea which to do right now. All I know is it HAS to be mobile, I have to move it in and out of my garage everytime I want to use it.

For a mobile stand the stacked lumber makes a nice flat square bottom so it's much easier to use a hand truck to move it. A light duty ratchet strap or even a length of line to secure the anvil back to the hand truck makes it a lot safer. What I have heartburn with when moving my anvils is they don't lay well against my hand truck so I have to strap them on or they tend to shift if I hit a bump.

If I'm moving things in the shop I use an engine hoist I got at a yard sale some years ago.

Frosty The Lucky.

blacksmiths have used stumps for hundreds if not thousands of years, they seem to have worked very well up to this point, don't get me wrong... eventually all mine will be on steel.... but stumps are cheap and easy

I have both my anvils on tripod stands now and am thinking of putting a plate on the base like a large foot so I can get a hand truck under it from the side so it'll be stable on the truck. My favorite way of moving them is with the engine hoist but it's kind of a loose cannon moving, all the wheels are on turning casters so it's like herding cats.

Frosty The Lucky.

Your cart is slick.
My anvil is on a bit of 12" pipe with flange, flange down. It weebel wobbles nicely,@ 165 lbs I don't tip it past maby 3 or 4 deg.
The vice is on a round base also and moves around all the time. Think of it as a horizontal wheel.

So here is my solution to moving it around and I gotta say Im happy with how it works. I measured the amout to lift the end of the bar at just under 50 lbs. lift it and it wheels around great. set it down and slide the bar out and good to go. Simple and works great. Still need to re-paint it all but I wanted to use it a bit before I did to make sure it works right.

post-37219-0-10464700-1373436857_thumb.j

post-37219-0-37515800-1373436950_thumb.j