I Forge Iron

No. 40 Blower Leaks Oil...

Ictalurids

... like a sieve!!!

I am a rookie. I have an old hand crank that I am trying to fix up to put to work on the forge I am trying to finish.

Fan turns freely, but rattles against the outer housing when spooling down.
I have disassembled it, following instructions from other threads here, and am not sure what direction to take from here.

Before breaking it down, I filled the gear oil resevoir about 1.5" deep. Seemed to turn smoother, but started leaking oil from fan housing.
Next morning, almost all of the oil was on the floor of my garage. Maybe the "siphoning" effect?

Not sure what to do from this point. Maybe put it back together and just spot oil gears each use with an oil can? Or is there a way to solve the problem more permanently?

Thanks in advance,

John

Welcome aboard John, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you may be happy to find out how many of the IFI gang live withing visiting distance.

Of course the oil drained out, hand crank blower aren't intended to be oil bath lubricated. Put a few drops of lightish weight motor oil, say 30 wt. Non detergent if you can find it but it's not a critical thing. Oh yeah, a few drops in the oiler cap on top at the beginning of a session. that's all she needs and NO don't use gear oil or grease or anything very heavy. They oil by tracking from one gera to another and a little bit of sling.

There should be oil holes over the bushing/bearings where the shafts meet the case, if so put a drop or two in each, if no oiler holes, don't worry about it.

Oh yeah, a little rattle or fan noise when letting it coast is normal enough, means it's worm gear driven so when you let off the force against the gears reverses and the fan shifts a bit. In time it may become necessary to adjust it but lots of guys here will tell you how.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank You Frosty!

I am east of Dallas, Texas.

I knew I would get some good advice here!  

Guess I will just put it back together and go to beating on some iron!

I have been worrying about the oil leaking, but now I am ready to finish my build and get some iron hot.

I feel fortunate to have found this site so early in my journey down the road to becoming a blacksmith.

I know you guys will save me a ton of frustration, and coal, down the line.

Thanks again,

John

My pleasure John, mine leaked all the oil out on the floor too. Put your general location in your profile which is posted in your header. Saying it once in a post isn't going to do it. If folk here know where you are, you may get all kinds of cool invites, pointed at good tools, equipment, the occasional picnic and called on for help. There are lots of Texicans here, getting together is fun.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

I was reading this fellows review on e-bay about buying Champion blowers. He had mentioned that every one he had purchased through e-bay have leaked oil.................

Not only that, but he had mentioned that they are supposed to have a leather seal.........

...........on a shaft with a keyway cut into it.................?????????