I Forge Iron

Another fine mess

Well, I screwed up again yesterday afternoon. I was drawing out the blade on a tomahawk and burned the end off. It was my first slit and drift hawk (I usually wrap and weld) and I had already formed the eye and fullered & forged the spike...a lot of work invested. I guess I got distracted by something shiny and turned my back on the forge without flipping off the blower switch. When I noticed the sparks it was too late. Rats!

Corrective action: I just installed a foot switch on the electric blower so the air stops if I step away (gee...just like a hand cranked blower). The switch is from an old sewing machine so has a large actuator plate and I modified it so it is strictly on/off...no speed control in the switch. (I use an air gate for that).

I want to get started over on another hawk but today is going to be a "bush hog the pasture" day so, unless it rains, I'll be stuck on the tractor.

Steve

Rain? What is this rain you speak of? We could really use some of that here in my part of NC.
I am looking forward to trying my hand at a tomahawk or axe of some kind some time soon. I enjoy seeing what everyone else is putting out and I really want to do it too.
Keep at it Steve and show us the results real soon.