I Forge Iron

Welded cable Camp knife

Dayne

So I recently found out how easy it is to weld crane cable and this is my first knife as a result. I have an old battery that I will crack open and dip this in to show more detail and Ill put a handle on it and post some more pics by the end of the week. But for now this is all I got. Also I used a pack of papers to give some idea of dimension. We there any Canadians out there who know if say Home Depot or something has an acid I can get for such a purpose?

post-41829-0-40443300-1371932434_thumb.j

What type of acid are you looking for?  If you live anywhere that there is oilfield activity there should be a chemical supplier near you.  I bought the guys who work at multichem a bottle of bailieys at xmas time and they hook me up with bits of this and that whenever I'm looking for something.  I never ask for more than a liter or two but they sell stuff by the drum so they don't even bother writing me an invoice.

Edit, I forgot to say, nice work, I can't wait till I'm at that level :D

Thanks everyone! I'll have to browse that forum on knife making tonight, and as for being at any level "want2learn" I have just started. Watch any and all videos and you'll get a sense of what true and false, poor technique etc. there are lots of books here and tons of info. Also practice and experience are the best teachers. Don't get to "bent out of shape" ! Hah!

Dayne, if you are looking for ferric chloride or other chemicals used for etching a good place to start is any electronic store supplier, those supplies are used by people who etch their own copper clad boards for making custom PCB's.  Radio Shack is non-existent in Canada as they were bought out and turned into another phone sales store.  Active Tech is who I deal with in Edmonton and iirc they have a store in Calgary as well.  I gaurantee you they would carry etching chemicals.

Best of luck.