I Forge Iron

Desmond Stephan MFG Co. Urbana, Ohio---any good?

The Chukster

Guys,

I as looking for another shop vise for my shop and came across an old Desmond Stephan MFG Co. Urbana, Ohio vise.  Doesn't swivel, but it seems pretty tight.  Any one know anything about this manufacturer?  The seller is asking $50.00. 

3r53G93td5Ic5N75r7d6ad7a344119be71e0f.jp3t63Ga3J75N15q15J3d6ab4d8a62c26ec1c05.jp3t13K83L95Nd5Kd5q1d6a64a0d5545f5613ef.jp

I know nothing about the manufacturer however, depending on the condition of the screw and nut, I would pay $50 for that one over a new import.  It is hard to beat good American Iron.

It is interesting that the removeable working face of the jaw is the full depth.

Flip it over so you can examine the screw for wear.  If it looks good, and you like the overall size, it's with $50.  You can't buy a new vise for that cheap and get the kind of quality that you can in an old American-made vise!

The last new Wilton vice that I bought was in 1990 and it cost $275 back then.  I would consider a $50, good condition, high quality american made vice a bargain.   It is easy to spend more than that driving around looking for one, not to mention the time.

Out of curiosity why not look up Wilton vices and find their current cost.   Of course the German vices are really nice but that is another story.

I just noticed what may be a pinned connection in the side of the upper part of the jaw.  Could be how the jaw plates are held into the body of the jaw.  Pinned in from the side.  If so I have never seen this before, and would be the kind of fussy detail that would indicate high quality.  Have a look and tell us what these features really are.