I Forge Iron

Identifying my anvil

I picked up an anvil a while back and I am trying to work out a bit more about it. I am not sure what it is made of or how old it is. I have searched the net and have not had much success. It is stamped with W.T on the side this might mean Wiltshire Tools or Wholsale Tools. It weighs 110kgs as confirmed by the numerical stamps on the side! Photos attached. Could anybody assist or point me in the right direction. Any ideas/advice would be appreciated

post-27508-0-00273400-1371812765_thumb.j

post-27508-0-59484400-1371812777_thumb.j

post-27508-0-41520000-1371812783_thumb.j

post-27508-0-96443800-1371812793_thumb.j

Your anvil is an English wrought iron anvil with a steel top plate on the flat face. The triangular feet tips indicate it is the kind often called "Old English" made between 1820-1860. The anvil is 'built up' construction, meaning multiple parts forge welded onto a central vertical block. The horn, heel, feet are all individual parts welded to the center. You can probably see where the parts join if you look under the bottom. It's a good usable anvil and probably rings pretty strong. You may want to secure it soundly to quiet it down a bit. Old English anvil names often seen in Australia are Attwood, Foster, Hadfield & Sanderson, Wilkinson, there are others. We have many of the same here in the States thanks to sharing our heritage as colonies of the British Empire. Enjoy it!

I think it is a cast steel anvil the stone weight numbers and the w.t. Are raised and not stamped. To me that means cast not forged. Forged are stamped like hay budden and Peter wright.

It'd say it's wrought iron, you can see the square handling hole in the 2nd photograph from when the body was forged.

That's a handsome looking anvil you have there, unfortunately it may be impossible to identify the original maker, my own anvil looks very similar to that, but mine has no discernible manufacture marks left apart from a faint weight stamp.  I've read that there were somewhere 200 anvil makers working in England during the industrial revolution all making very similar anvils so tracking an anvil down to an individual maker is very difficult without obvious markings.  However, you've got yourself a nice anvil there, now to put it to work!

The numbers and letters are stamped not raised.  So I would have to go with 101 H-B' s answer.  This would confirm what my suspicions were although the age of the anvil was a bit of a surprise.  I knew it was not recently made given the marks on it.  Thanks for the guidance.

I have not seen any cast anvils marked with three numbers spaced apart, such as the weight stamps on a Peter Wright anvil. Brooks and KL, English cast steel anvils, often have more than one weight marking, such as 'LBS' on one side and 'Kg' on the other side, and 'CWT'. It's not the same as 3 digit stone weight marking, but interesting that they found it useful to refer to the traditional English hundredweight system late into the 20th century.

post-19449-0-19782700-1372089502_thumb.j

post-19449-0-60427100-1372089672_thumb.j