I Forge Iron

Solenoid help needed

bottles

Hi all,

I have a (2.2kw) 3hp power pack that I am trying to see if I can get to work. It has a Rexroth solenoid with bent three pin tabs. 

After trying several  hydraulic companies to get a switch system made. The best I have managed to get is some three pin plugs and a up down switch.

Now I need to wire up the solenoid? Obviously one side is power in. What happens on the other side? I have a four cable line which goes to two pairs of contacts on the switch side. How do I wire this to the three pin plug?  I can’t get my head around how wiring two  or three wires will get the ram moving in different directions?

What I am concerned is that I don’t want to fry a potentially working solenoid control. Do I have all the parts to get this working or do I need anything else.

I have tried looking on the web for wiring diagrams with no luck, or nothing I could understand anyway.

Andrew

th_52570905-5f6e-4641-8269-aaced8ac70c7.

th_2013-06-16194801.jpg

th_2013-06-15170139.jpg

You have 2 different coils, one on each end of the valve. They shift the spool to get your travel direction.The first thing you want to know is the coil voltage and make sure your supply matches, coils can be AC or DC, with a variety of voltages. You have what is known as a DIN style connector on each coil. The coil is across two of the tabs and the third is a ground. The two coil tabs can easily be identified with a meter measureing the resistance between them, you should read somewhere between 20 and 50 ohms depending on what voltage they are would for. Typically the coil tabs are in the 3 and 9 o clock positions, with the ground at 12:00 and nothing at 6:00. This would be for the coil closest to the motor in your photo and be mirrored for the lower coil.

Hope this helps

The Rextroth stuff is good so try not to fry it! I second Brian's good advice. Should you need to replace the solenoids the agents here would only want a small payment(over and above your arm and leg of course.)

Ian

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Your description of the coils confirms what I have been told.

Now to wire up the controller do I put the 110v power into each end of the coil or on one end?

A                                                                    D                                   1                          3

C                     (coil)                         E                                             <       (switch)     >

B                                                                      F                                   2                          4

A 110V +                                                          D   1                               1-D                    3-F                

C EARTH                                                         E                                                               

B 110V --                                                          F    2                               2-F                    4-D

Does this scheme make any sense?

Andrew

According to the Rexroth site these are 110v the model number is  we6 e51/aw110-50nz4. Doesn't seem to be on there present models. If you know different let me know. A generic solenoid to match this is around £170. Hence why I won't to get this right first go.

Andrew

th_07cfe80d-4ea8-4241-b3ea-108ea9b63b1e.

Pretend the coils are light bulbs (A light bulb is just a really hot glowing coil) and you want each push button to turn on its own light bulb. So coming from the 120 VAC hot side, wire to the switch and then to one side of the coil. The other terminal is connected to neutral, completing the circuit. Repeat for the other side. This is about as simple as I can describe it, assuming it is a 120 VAC coil. If you wouldn’t be comfortable wiring up a switched light bulb in your home, you might want some help with this as well.

There are additional things you could do with your switch terminals to interlock them, preventing both switches from being pressed at the same time and turning on both coils, but that would require much more detail on the switch. I’ll just leave it by saying “only press one button at a time!!!” It more than likely wouldn’t do anything if you pushed both anyway.

Hope this helps