I Forge Iron

Big vise find

Michael

A friend (enabler, really) pointed me in the direction of this vise on Craigslist, since it was near my home.

Biggest vise I've ever seen. I've got a 38 lb. Chas. Parker and a 45 lb. Prentiss, but this GFE tips the scale at 132 pounds!

post-182-0-62787300-1371146298_thumb.jpg

From all the dirt I scraped off it, it was sitting on the ground for a while.

It took two of us to put it in the car, rolled it out of the station wagon into a wheelbarrow, then dumped it on the grass outside the shop so I could get a hand truck under it, finally got it into the shop and took it apart to be able to lift it onto the bench to start cleaning.

post-182-0-16813100-1371146321_thumb.jpg

At some point, someone put a big set screw collar on the unthreaded part of the screw to act as a garter,

post-182-0-02508300-1371146336_thumb.jpg

pulling the upper jaw out.  I think originally there was some sort of screw box that covered the threads and acted as the garter, long since gone.

The base is not flat, having a central, threaded boss that extends about 7/8 under the base, and a 1 inch pin at the rear of the base. Perfect for mounting on an acorn table, Not sure I have a bench that is up to this vise.

Best, part......$20