I Forge Iron

video of my forge running- critiques welcome

armymedic.2

This is how my forge runs currently.   i had just fired it up.     it is only 192 cubic inches,   4 high, six wide, 8 deep.      it has a flapper door on the back     it is firebrick only, no coating yet.    i can get a deep orange turning to yellow shade, but i can not get any hotter than that.    hoping that a coating will help, and that someone agrees i may need more air getting in.    i am still thinking about drilling more aspiration hoes in the 3/4 " tube.   .025 mig tip.      you can see very clearly the propane stream throiugh the aspiration holes with your naked eye.   well formed anmd consistent jet stream.   pretty cool stuff.   the flare is new and tight fitting.

The flame is well formed so you have it aligned well. But, there it is the dreaded "but", I don't see excessive or any dragon's breath, no orange flame coming out the door, let alone yellow. It is apparently running neutral or slightly oxidizing. The flare is hotter than it should be, meaning the fuel air mix isn't moving fast enough down the tube. And it's too quiet, these things roar louder and higher pitched.

A 3/4" burner likes a 0.035 mig tip jet set farther back from the air intake ports. Once you have a good fuel air ratio you're down to the basic BTU's per cf of fuel, it needs more fuel to make more heat.

Something else about these things is theyre what's called reverbratory furnaces meaning the flame isn't what's heatig your stock. The flame heats the inside of the forge and radiated IR is what heats your stock. I've always wondered about that one but if the forge isn't hot the steel takes forever to heat and then never hotter than the forge. So . . . I guess so.

Anyway, that's what I see, it needs a larger mig tip and then maybe more air ports if moving the jet farther back doesn't work.

Frosty The Lucky.