I Forge Iron

New 130 # new cast A36 anvil, $385+ tax. Is this anvil worth it?

Before I started building my anvil, I was prepared to buy one from a local foundry. I was able to verify that the cast steel is A36. As I will be hard facing my 300 LB anvil anyway, would hard facing a new 130# cast A36 anvil make it a good anvil, and a good buy at $385?? I have to decide by morning. Sorry, No picture.

Any experience would be appreciated.

Factor in the cost of good hardfacing rod and the time and effort and massive use of consumable grinding media and your paying at least US$4 a pound for that anvil, is that a good price where you are at; even in anvil poor New Mexico is sure isn't!

Factor in the cost of good hardfacing rod and the time and effort and massive use of consumable grinding media and your paying at least US$4 a pound for that anvil, is that a good price where you are at; even in anvil poor New Mexico is sure isn't!

Thanks, both of you, that is what I needed to hear.

odd,  as A36 is not an alloy but a structural rating,  so this means to me they have an anvil shaped thing they made from the normal steel they are using. You can get a real anvil for that price if you look around.  It should be better than cast iron, tho  less than a normal anvil.

The quick way of figuring will bring the cost about to near $635, including the extra rods that you will now have in inventory, but with absolutely no accounting for labor. Starting about 4:30 am and maybe finishing at 10:00 pm...with the possibility of some incompatibilities when welding...Nooooooo Waaaayyyy!

Apply ALL that money to a good piece of equiptment. Go on a road trip to somewhere to pick it up..ready to go to work. Waste not one more cent on that project.

But the funny thing about this subject is: I still go through the same computations every few months. Answers return to the same situation.

Carry on

Why can't your local foundry use some ''good stuff''?

These were from a run they made years ago when business was slow. It is not slow now. I asked if they would cast some anvils for me with steel I supplied. They never got back with me. Not worth their time for a couple of anvils.

I had thought of supplying railroad track for steel. If I could be sure I was getting 5160, I would supply Truck springs. Their is a spring shop near by. Could wind up mixing 5160 and 1095, or something else. Wouldn't know how to heat treat. There are companies near that do large scale heat treating.