I Forge Iron

Frosty T Burner Forge Questions

Spruce

• 7 months later...

I'm completely new when it comes to everything in this post, and even the use of this website. So, it's a given that I know slightly more than nothing at the moment. Like a blank slate I can be filled up!

I need help/advice! I have recently built a little forge and added a Frosty T-Burner to it. For some reason in Ottawa, Canada it was a nightmare to get the various fittings and I had to rig things in a more complicated way than I wanted.

I copied the plans for the Frosty T-Burner as closely as I could using the 3/4" pipe and the 1"x3/4" black pipe T. I did add a 3/4" coupling to the bottom of the 6" pipe to create a flare, however I did some math relating to the 1:12 flare ratio and filed the coupling to match the suggested ratio. By my calculation, the 25mm length of the coupling that extends beyond the termination of the 6" pipe should flare to being 25mm in diameter...since the burner pipe was 21mm in diameter.

I used a 0.035 mig tip for the gas jet. I already tried cutting the mig tip down by 1/8". I repeated this 4 times. (check out the pic)

My forge has a working volume of 172 cubic inches. The forge floor is 2 hard fire bricks on their side. The forge sides each have 1 hard fire brick on edge. The forge ceiling is 2" of kaowool. I also place fire bricks in front of the front and back doors of the forge (each door is about 4.25"x4.25"). I mounted the burner vertically, bang in the middle of the top of the forge. I have not yet covered any of the bricks or kaowool with anything...I do intend to do so once I figure out what that substance will be!

As proof of concept I have attached the burner to a 20L BBQ propane canister. The regulator I bought would only attach to my fittings if I removed the rubber hose part. I have temporarily run 1/4" copper from the burner to the regulator. On the box it says the regulator is: Low Pressure; 11" W.C. Regulator, 1/2 PSI Output, 75,000 BTU capacity.

My problem is that my burner only has what I would say are non-consolidated blue flames, rather than a consolidated rocket boosting flame (please see pic). The flame also seems to occasionally hiccup and almost goes out. I tried blowing into the air intakes in the T fitting and the flames roared a bit louder but didn't change much other than that. If I blew too hard, the burner went out. Closing the air intakes didn't help either. I also played with the positioning of the door bricks. I left it on for about 15 mins but the forge never really got properly hot.

Do I need to trim the mig tip more?

Did I buy the wrong regulator?

Do I need a bigger fuel source?

Do I need fuel other than BBQ propane?

Any suggestions that lead to me bashing hot metal would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

IMG_8168.JPG

IMG_8167.JPG

Wrong regulator, you need 0-30psi. High pressure regulator. you may have already trimmed the mig tip farther than necessary, don't do it again till you have the correct regulator.

A 170+/- cu in volume should be running with a 1/2" burner. You are seriously over gunned.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty!

I have ordered a new regulator and will get out another mig tip. Assuming the regulator solves my problem...should I rebuild the burner to be a 1/2"...or build a bigger forge? Or, does "seriously over gunned" mean I will be able to forge weld easily? Or does it mean I'll melt Ottawa?

I have an old 20L propane canister that's got no tap on it now that I could turn into a bigger forge. If the volume requires 2 burners, does that mean 2 tanks and 2 high pressure regulators?

Thanks for the quick response. I really appreciate it.

Cheers!

Will

Thanks Irondragon!

I will definitely take on that advice. No sense reinventing wheels.

Cheers,

Will