I Forge Iron

Choosing between these belt grinders

Hi guys,

So the time has come to get a belt grinder. I'm between these two:

This one is locally available: http://www.atlas-machinery.com/products/King-Canada-KC-760L-1HP-6x48x9-Belt-and-Disc-Sander-with-Enclosed-Base

And the grizzly one: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Knife-Belt-Sander-Buffer/G1015 (I'd have to have this shipped in)

They're both 1 HP, the main difference is 2x72 vs 6x48. I know neither of these are perfect, but they fit within the amount I'm looking to spend right now.

I have a feeling the grizzly is a better grinder, but it doesn't have variable speed. If I go with the 6x48 belt grinder, I'd buy a variable speed bench grinder in addition, which I feel would be useful for buffing and wire wheel stuff.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Harris

Depends on what you are buying it for.

My first grinder was the 2x72 Grizzly. I sold enough knives built with that grinder to buy most all of the tools in my shop. I still use it most every day, even though I bought a KMG1 variable speed DC.

A few years after I got the Grizzly I added a pillow block setup for variable speed. The grizzly stays set up with a wheel and the KMG1 with the platen.

I bought 4 more of the Grizzly buffers that have that same 1 HP motor. Three are my buffers set up on a revolving table all set up with six different grits on the buffs. I keep the wheels covered with shower caps to prevent contamination between the grits. The fourth one powers my surface grinder.

Would do it all over again, just the same way, too :)

A lot of makers buy the more expensive brands of 2x72 and look down their noses at the Grizzly. Most who own one like and use them just fine.

My .02 worth :)

Dave