I Forge Iron

D-2 What? How?

Gerald Franklin gave me a piece of D-2 a few week ago and I have been pondering on WHAT to make with it. (Thanks Gerald!) I would like to know what would be the best use of the material and how to treat it after the item is made. I'm thinking of some type of punch, chiesil, or such as I'm not a bladesmith. (That's to come in the future!) Thanks for the help.

D-2 is an air hardening cold work tool steel with high wear resistanceand deep hardening ability. It is best suited for things like cold punches slitters shear blades, and knives. If you go to this linkDiehl Steel - D-2 Air Hardening tool Steel I think you will find all of the info that you need on forging, hardening, and tempering temperatures. Good luck!!!

Jose; would you like to stop by and see my shop just north of Socorro and just off I25 on the way up or back? I need a couple of sacks of coal too and would be happy to send money up with you and chip in a bit on the gas bill as well.

I plan to go to the SWABA meeting in Mountainair on Aug 4 however.

thomas powers at zianet dot com

Jose, my trip is 1600 miles ,there and back. We have our oldest son and GRANDson there and our youngest son and daughter in law. Our grandson's 1st birthday is Aug.5. All live in Alb. Our oldest son owns his own business (he does trim work and installs cabinets) and the youngest works for him! We would have NEVER believed that would have happened! :) Larry Kern and I are getting together sometime during the week so we can get with Mr. Leon about the leg vise thrust bearing details. I NEED to see how it is done EXACTLY so I can draw it up for my machinist buddy. Wish I could make the meeting with ya'll in Mountainair....