I Forge Iron

Wood carvers from Rotary Drum Blade

eseemann

Common thinking on steel for blades is that you should select steel that had 60 pts of carbon or more,,(I like more!). Wot this may mean to you is that now that you are into blade making your ability to fashion, heat treat and finish a complete knife will improve with each blade. Now is the time to start using the good steel and learn how to process it. If you interested in guns,,think of a custom rifle,,you could get a fine rifle and restock it. Pine and exibition grade walnuit will really work about the same..The finished product will be a lot different based on your material choice. Higher carbon content makes a better blade...IF it is heat  treated correctly.

I agree, the reason I used these is I got 36 rectangles of steel for $4.00 and if nothing else they would make good things to put in to pattern welds. Each blade is 1.5" by 4" so I figured they are good for small things like this. I also have some 5160 that I am working on now in to a camp knife. Soon as I get a good local source higher carbon steel I will use that. I have been devloping contacts at pawn and second hand stores for old files and such.