I Forge Iron

Recurve fighter with Wenge and Micarta Build Along

Matthew Paul

I drew up a design, and got to forging the knife from some 1/4" x 1" 1075.  The blade is 8" in length, 1 1/4" tall.

It's not my regular style of as forged finish, but it should be nice no less.

Here are some photos of the progress...

The concept:
Concept_zpsa6db75eb.jpg

Mid Forging:
bladeforgedhot_zps0db12747.jpg

As forged:
bladeforgedwithtemplate_zpse4b95ef7.jpg

After some intimacy with the grinder and a 50gr belt:
IMG_7231_zpsc153a912.jpg

IMG_7232_zps7f7b35da.jpg

IMG_7234_zps5c957508.jpg

IMG_7237_zpsc92b9993.jpg

IMG_7252_zpsf0862e1d.jpg

IMG_7260_zpsb64d61b8.jpg

IMG_7261_zpsf7abb824.jpg

IMG_7339copy_zps3325c662.jpg

IMG_7345_zps9d626f73.jpg

I made the guard out of black linen micarta and put a wenge handle on it. I heat treated it tonight as well. It's got a differential heat treatment, edge quench. I just have to finish sand the handle. I always plan on doing the blades like this with a clean satin finish but I love the way they look after normalizing cycles and the quench.

So here it is as of now... A few hours of hand sanding and it should be good to go. This blade is so light, its crazy. I'd say this one is lighter than a drifter as well.

IMG_7487copy_zpsc68eda4f.jpg

This thing is SUPER light weight and feels great in the hand! It was forged from 1/4" x 1" 1075. The knife measures about 14" in overall length. It's got an 8 1/2" cutting edge. The blade is 1 5/16" tall. The spine thickness starts at 1/4" and tapers evenly to 1/16" at the tip. There is a 45deg bevel/chamfer/false edge along the first 6" of the spine. The blade has a slight recureve to it with a drop of about 1/8" along the edge. The tip of the blade sits about 1/8" under the center-line. The handle is 5" in length and 7/8" tall at the narrowest, and 1 3/16" at the palm swell. The handle measures 3/4" thick at the guard and is 15/16" thick at the palm swell. There is a single 1/8" brass pin through the handle and tang.

Here are a few photos of the finished knife. It still needs some more oil on the handle and the edge needs to spend some more time on the wet stones.

IMG_7505_zps2952c597.jpg

IMG_7507_zps17cc228b.jpg

IMG_7511_zps0e9aeb9a.jpg

IMG_7514_zps4517f47b.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Matt P.

Tantrum, the blade is just as it was from normalizing hardening and tempering, with a little oil on it.

Thank you Zanshin. I don't like grinding, so I try to get them 90% shaped with the hammer instead of 10% hammered and 90% ground - not that there is anything wrong with ether way..

I can totally Understand. Plus, hammering gives to the metal better mechanical properties and allows you to save a lot of metal, which is very important sometimes. However, to hammer-shape so precisely, one has to be very, very, very good at forging. Again, wonderful job!!!!