I Forge Iron

Sunday projects

I have recently gotten a breath of fresh air, so to speak, and have been doing stuff just for the fun of it. Today I made a snub end scroll from 5/8"x 1-1/2", made some stakes, a drifting block from 3/4"x2", a leafing hammer from 1" square(still needs clean up and heat treat), and knocked some 2-1/8" 4140 down to 1"square. Nice to just play for the fun of it-I've missed it.

post-1460-0-58002000-1368410536_thumb.jp

post-1460-0-93826300-1368410753_thumb.jppost-1460-0-79662900-1368411012_thumb.jp

post-1460-0-19203000-1368411282_thumb.jp

Greetings Mark,

Slick stuff..  I am always amazed that what other people call work we call fun....  They just don't understand..   Keep up the great work....  By the way that's a penny scroll...

Keep a nockin    Jim

This is a solid snub end scroll. A half penny (or penny) snub end is the one with the thin end-thereby the correlation to a half-penny (or penny). The book Wrought Ironwork in the Cosira series (it can be downloaded free) has some great pics and how to about them. Check page 24. Thanks for trying to spread some knowledge though. Thanks for the compliment-it's a big change from where I started many years ago, where I made mostly mistakes and uglies :)-it's appreciated.

Nice scroll Mark, you're correct about it's not being a half-penny, hay-penny or penny scroll. The common English or American name for the scroll end you've made is a snub end. Another similar scroll where the snub is made by tapering the bar end done to nothing and then rolling it up like a "jelly roll" is called a French button.