I Forge Iron

Anyone heard of a "whirlwind firepot" ?

A picture would help but if my memory is working properly, I think it was made by Champion. If it's the one I am recalling, it is very heavy wall and has three slots in the bottom with no movable breaker - made for coke. Is that the right description or does it have a clinker ball?

I have seen one of these in use with coal. I asked the man about clearing the ports and he simply picked up his poker and cleared them. I have rethought the value of clinker breakers ever since. Next forge probably won't have one.

JR,

I never thought of that. I have one of those triangular deals, but it always has the flat spot up. I can't keep it in any other position. I notice that my fire is small, but sometimes I want a bigger one.

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can rig up to get it to stay in one place.

BTW, I didn't get to talk to you much at Possum's Hammer-In (I was only there for a few hours on Saturday), but it was nice to meet you.

rvb

Your whirlwind firepot was available from the Sears & Roebuck Catalog in 1897 for about $7.00. They were also sold through T. Eatons in Canada and through other supply companies of the time. The last one I saw in a catalog for sale was in one dated 1931.