I Forge Iron

Anvil in San Antonio, TX

I live in San Antonio and for the life of me can't figure out where to find an anvil. My father has looked for years for an anvil or a piece of railroad track with no luck. I'll take anything that works well as an anvil. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Be patient and keep a very close eye on craigslist for Austin, Houston & Dallas.  They pop up fairly often, the good ones go fast, but they are out there.  Use anvil as your search parameter.

Check out this thread on getting a piece of RR track and pictures on how I mounted mine.  Typically all you have to do is contact someone at a railyard, and explain what you need it for.  It also doesn't hurt to bring a cold six pack of beer on a Friday when you visit.  I still use mine when I need good edges and the work I did on it is how I brought the anvil that I now have.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/31537-hypothetical-rr-track-question/

Dan

Check out balconesforge.org

They have quite a few members in San Antonio and more as you travel north.

Their next meeting is going to be Saturday, May 18th at the Texas Natural and Western Swing Festival in San Marcos.  There is usually a pretty good turnout as this is a fun all day event.  We will be in the Northwest corner of the courthouse grounds.  Look me up if you go and I will introduce you to the rest of the group.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,  saw the FB posting for the 18th.  I'd love to make it though not sure it's possible w/ young kids, their activities and I'm on call for work (could bring laptop just in case).  Is there a particular time of day that would be best to show up at?

ChiefcodeX, in case you need a post or leg vise, just noticed a 4" one on the Austin CL for $130.  Looks to be in good shape and ready for work.  I try to get them when they need work and resell them for about this much.

Dan

ChiefCodeX - I live in San Marcos, Texas. I have been waiting for the meeting on May 18th to finally try to meet everyone. This is my first post on the boards and I am in the same boat. I have been banging on a RR track that I found and my forge is a 16in rim with a break drum in it. I just recent found a Columbian Post Vise for about 100 on Craigs list. There are anvils out there but you have to be willing to travel. I am talking to a guy about a 160# one but I have never bought or to be honest seen a used one up close to really know what to look for. I have been reading every post I can in the anvil forum to try to up my knowledge in hopes that the one I am going to try to get will work out. All that said, the RR track I have been banging on has work out fine for small things. I want to try larger items and I just think it is time to get something bigger. 

Jerry W. - What time will you guys be stopping? I work on Saturdays so it makes it hard for me to get out to meetings. I wanted to go to the one in Boerne, Tx but I was not able to get the day off. I wanted to join the group and start meeting people. I can read books all day long but I am a better visual learner. Thank you You Tube. I am hoping to find someone close by that wouldn't mind a volunteer to help out around the shop. Or maybe be directed to some class's some where. I just really need to get my hands dirty. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So I finally found an anvil. My dad went to a friend's ranch and came back with a priece of railroad track. He also told me that there is an entire forge, that hasn't been used in a few years, that I can use whenever I go up there, also there is two big piles of steel I can hammer on. So know I have a railroad anvil for home and a complete forge at the ranch, plus free steel. So now I can hunt and blacksmith all in the same day.

• 2 weeks later...

Forklift tines generally make better anvils than RR track and can be found most places in the USA.

You want to buy a damaged one---cheaper and tell them what you want it for as they worry about liability of it getting reused.

Some places will even cut it for you to be sure it doesn't get reused...