I Forge Iron

Belt sander suggestions?

Jim,

What is going to be the primary purpose for your sander?

If it's just for de-burring and routine shaping and clean-up on steel and wood, one of the $99 Delta 4"x36" with the 6" disk on the side is mighty handy.

However, if you are looking for a good blade grinder, price is going to be your determining factor. On a budget, I have heard good things about the Grizzly, but it is a budget alternative.

If you can afford the price, you can't go wrong with a KMG built by Rob Frink at Beaumont Metal Works:

Beaumont Metal Works, Manufacturer of Industrial belt grinders and finishing equipment

I can't afford one yet, but I have seen them demo'd many times at Ron Claiborne's hammer-in, and they are awesome machines.

Don

p.s. Rob has 2 Youtube demos on his main page. They are well worth the time to watch.

Jim,

Please don't think I'm being a smart@@@, but have you found the set screw that holds the disk on the shaft?

It's a little allen-head screw... hard to get at.

Also, there might be a couple threaded holes on the face of the disc on either side of the shaft hole. If you can find some bolts or all-thread to fit these, you can rig up some sort of wheel puller. A squirt of Breaker or W-D probably won't hurt either.

Ask me how I know all of this :cool:

Don

I use my belt sanders for blades, I have two. One is the grizzley that you mentioned and I use it a lot. however I do not use it to hollow grind blades. Sich the wheel is mounted on the end of the motors shaft the motor itself gets in the way of a blade that has the handle to the left of the wheel. My other is a high priced machine made by Hard Core. I do all of my blade grinding on it. Here are some things I like: 2"x 72" belts are easier to shop for price and a wide selection. I like access to both sides of the wheel. A variable speed is a must for me. Mine has a dc motor and dial control. A changeable pully set up would be fine also. Some things you need slower speeds and some faster. A nice flat platen set up is really useful for a lot of things. Belt grinder are a great additon to a shop and also a big investment. I think you can find some on-line how to plans if you feel like taking on another project.. have fun.

I would HIGLY HIGHLY suggest getting a B3 from the Bader company, it's the most versatile grinder on the market, they make a bunch of different attachments for it, it tilts up or down, and is just overall a great powerful machine. It is such a simple machine, with a metal cutting saw, a torch and a drill press you can make alot of different custom attachments for it yourself. I have used both the B3 and the space saver(larger machine), and would recommend no other machine higher than a Bader, I guarentee you will be satisfied.

Stephen Bader & Co., Inc. - Manufacturer of quality belt grinders, polishing and finishing equipment

I've also heard good reviews of Burr King. I bought a Grizzly and it works well enough. I may tinker with it one day to make it a 3-wheel setup or make some attachments. Otherwise I might just build a second one. Building one shouldn't be that hard IF you have a complete fabrication shop already.

Clark, I would want at least a canvas or leather apron covering the ways, tool holder, and tail stock. But it would be interesting to see. Idea reminds me of the "Shopsmith" wood working system. Lathe, drill press, belt and disc sander all in one

• 2 months later...