I Forge Iron

New member from Massachusetts.

Hello everyone, I've been lurking for a few months and decided to jump in an say hello.  I am up in the Merrimack Valley of Ma, two minutes from the New Hampshire border.  My very short journey in blacksmithing was laid out before me without even knowing it.  A few years ago, my dad gave me his anvil and farriers tools that he had that he was not using. I used anvil a few times over the years to work copper or brass sheets for various projects.  I've taken an interest in wood re-purposing for about a year and figured I could add metal accents to woodworking pieces.  I took an evening class at a forge, which was great, and I realized I had a lot of the tools needed to get forging.  I built a brake drum forge and lined it with sand/clay.  I welded up a base and now here I am. 

I would prefer to take blacksmithing courses and learn proper methods, but time and money are not things of which I have an excess of.  I am going to learn as I go and hopefully take a few classes or open smithy times.  My set up is far from ideal, but I will adapt and modify as I go.   

Many thanks to all who post and run this forum.  I have learned a lot, and I hope to contribute some thoughts or ideas in some small way.  

Jon

Welcome aboard Jon, glad to have you.

I have a few of my Father's tools and using them feels as special as using tools I made with my own hands. Different but it's a connection to Dad I'll never have another way. It's good.

You've been reading around the site so you have an idea of what's available. Getting hooked up with another smith will make a huge difference, a few hours with an experienced smith will equate to days, weeks or even months figuring it out yourself, even with good reading material.

Last but not least you can ask us here. We love good questions, you learn more from students or good questions than you'd imagine, it makes you think about why you do a thing THAT way. Anyway, we'll answer whatever questins you have even if we have to make stuff up. It's not an accident blacksmithing is abrieviated BS you know. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the welcome Frosty. 

It turns out that my anvil came from an antique dealer that aquired from a closed farrier's shop across the river from my town.  I was happy to learn of this, and that it remains close to where it was used.  I also learned by searching for Hay Budden serial numbers here that another IFI member has a HB with a serial number a few digits higher than mine.  Most likely made around the same production time.  This site is an amazing resource. 

I will be putting up a coal question later today when I have some time.

Jon

My pleasure Jon, I like welcoming folk. I don't know why I just do. <grin>

Put the question and ser# to the list, lots of guys here have Postman's book "Anvils In America" and it'll tell you more than you ever wanted to know from the ser #.

This is a fun bunch of characters and a living encyclopedia of more information on more subjects than you'd ever guess. Virtually every profession known is represented here. Well okay, I don't know if there are any double naught spies here but . . .<grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

HI Jon,

I'm south of you on the CT. border. I'm just a hobby smith and want to retire into doing more when that comes to be. Mostly blade smithing and simple ornamental right now. The New England Blacksmiths is a great group /source of information and contacts for not much money. You will find there are a lot of folks in your area.

http://www.newenglandblacksmiths.org/

Welcome to IFI

Dick