I Forge Iron

Ok. So I'm still very new to blacksmithing and trying to learn more about the origins of the art. My intent since getting into this has been to learn to start with absolutely nothing and to be able to set up a functioning system for making iron/steel tools/weapons/decorations.

Part of that is learning where Iron comes from. How it was gathered and pulled from it's many natural sources, and turned into a bloom, a bar, a tool.

From what I've gathered Magnetite/lodestone seems to be the most Iron rich of all the naturally occurring sources. I'm curious if it was a source used to create Iron. If so, what was the process? Did they crush a chunk down and throw it in the heat, letting the bloom build? Or was there something else they did? I've tried to find some information about this on the site. Either my searches are termed incorrectly or there's something odd about the engine. If there is information to be found on this site, point me to it and I'll read =)

As magnetite is commonly found in igneoul rocks in small grains it was often the "iron sand" used in the bloomery process especially in Japan.

Otherwise it would need crushing---see Agricola for examples of renaissance ore crushers---De Re Metallica

Also read "The Mastery and Uses of Fire in Antiquity" Rheder---gotta run!

google Iron smelting and read from there ;) next on the list is metallurgy difference between steel and iron and other metals 

its a fun hobby but not something you will understand and know all about in just a few years time 

as a side note, your avatar pic is already used by at least one other member on here makes it confusing for us who are bad at remembering names