I Forge Iron

Unboxing new majestic forge

jay_cat

Looks very good. I have bought a couple and built a couple, fairly happy with them all. If that top is actually hinged on one side so it can be opened easily that is a great idea. If I ever build another it will have a hinged top!

Enjoy your new forge.

Dave

I went to fire up the forge for the first time and decided to read the instructions before I started.  Its a goog thing I followed the part about testing for leaks with soapy water before fireing the forge.  One of the crimps on the hose connecting the regulator to the the burners was leaking.  I don't blame Majestic, The hose is store bought or ordered.  I can pick up a replacement  at lowes.

And yes the top is hinged. 

Update.  I brought the hose to my local welding supply and had the crimps tightend up.  That fixed my hose issue and it didn't cost me anything.  The forge works great.  Heats up quick.  I'm going to do a lot more forging now that I can do it in my garage at night.  I'm glad I dropped some cash to get the forge.  Its ready out of the box. I'll update on durability once I have some hours on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jay,

I was thinking about buying one of those since I was in Italy, the three burner,  two years after I started blacksmithing. I never did because the shipping to Italy was double the cost of the forge. Now that I am in USA I am wondering to switch to gas instead of coal. Making damascus, I need very high heating temps. Do you think this one can be good for that purpose? Can it reach the welding point without consuming a whole tank of propane?

Thanks

Francesco

I would think so. I've only been using one of the two burners to make bottle openers. It heats 1/2 square stock fast. The one upgrade I would and will add is a strip of angle iron below both openings to slide in a fire brick. I do see how coal has its advantages. You can control what area of the metal you want hot easier. With the gas, everything inside gets hot.

I bought the gas forge for two reasons. I have very little time to hammer and this allows me to use it in my garage at night and I think it will be easier for hear treating the knives I'm am making.

Buy one, unless you have time to make one. Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...

Bumping this thread up after someone inquired in another thread --- http://www.iforgeiro...ge/#entry358743

thanks to everyone who has posted about this option. I've just gotten my parts from Zoeller and about to build my first. I'm so antsy and time-limited though, I almost wish I'd gotten an affordable plug-n-play...