I Forge Iron

Asking for direction

Hi,

Newbie here as a result of a fringe need on one of my other projects. I have a metal lathe that I can not buy parts for. (Old and out of procuction). I need 3 backplates cast in gray iron  to mount my chucks to the spindle and one as a faceplate to turn between centers. I posted previously and apparantly I said something that was not acceptable and it, I guess, was pulled. I will try again and not be as descriptive. I am looking for someone local to portland oregon that is willing to work with me in a way that is fair to both of us to produce these castings. I have been to many sources and the base of knowlege and experience here seems to be the best that I have come across yet. I have been to some of the do it yourself sites and realize that castin iron is a step above the normal requirements and is something that for 3 pieces is more than I want to invest in. Thanks to all who comment and lend their experience to my endeavor.

Marc

Most chudk back plates can be fabricated very easily from a steel plate with a boss welded to it that is threaded to fit your lathe spindle. In either case access to a macine shop to machine and thread the spindle connection is required before truing the face of the back plate on your lathe prior to mounting yor chuck(s).

HI,

It is a Pratt and Whitney 13 30 Model B with a 3 inch 3 1/2 TPI tapered nose spindle. I didn't get any tooling with it so I am having to make anything I need. I have considered the plate and boss method and haven't ruled it out. Both menthods have their merits. I was checking out this forum to see what the availabity to casting would be. I have cut a couple of tapers (jarno 13 not Morse) for dead centers to turn between centers and some specialty boring bars. I have grown up living outside the realm of what normal people consider do-able so I have a history of trying when I probably shouldn't. I was hoping to benefit from the knowlege and graciousness of the people here. I am in the portland oregon genreal area. Again thanks to all who lend information and input.

Marc