I Forge Iron

anchors for kaowool

Hi 

Does any one know where to locate a supplier of anchors to hold kaowool in a forge .

I've tried using stainless bolts and washers to hold the kaowool in place ,but it 

ends up burning up eventually .Dropping the wool into the forge .

They probably would be a ceramic button or something similiar .Any ideas Thanks 

Duralite sells some wire for pinning electric heating elements to fire brick, supposed to be good to 2500F.  I've used the product in my electric oven, but not the forge.  I like the rigid ceramic fiber board for overhead insulation, or wrap the kaowool in a circle and slather a mix of Kaolin and Pyrax to stabilize, then ITC-100 on top of that.  But if you want to wire it up, Duralite is really good to deal with.

http://www.duralite.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=110

James Brauer

www.hotworksgallery.com

Axner - dot - com.

They supply potters and people who use kilns - they have nichrome wire and ceramic buttons.

I've never had problems with kaowool falling out, but I'm using a round tube - the kaowool supports itself it you have enough in there - double if you use stiffener.

I have Kaowool in a large flat lidded forge and keep in place by pleating it. Folded like a fan dance fan (can't think of the right name) it exposes a small surface to the fire while maintaining plenty for support. It's also coated with ITC-100.

Frosty the Lucky.

The following company sells SS posts (meant to be welded in or on the forge body) and ceramic buttons that slide onto those posts.  Nichrome wire can be used to hold the buttons on individually or wired to the next post....

ANH

Josh Blankenship (540) 375-2107

2001 Salem Industrial Drive Salem, VA

However....  Eventually, every structure will fail if you sustain high enough heat, including the posts, wire, thermal blanket and any coating you put on it.     Personally, I consider lining a consumable with a life expectancy dependent upon use and temperatures sustained. 

I use sodium silicate to "glue" thermal blanket to forge bodies (see videos referenced above), then put on a refractory coating for efficiency.  If the forge is run hot for a long time and high heat radiates through the thermal blanket to the forge body, the sodium silicate will chrystalize and fail to hold the blanket in place.  I have, more recently than the Super C lining video, started recommending using nichrome wire staples (see simple forge lining video) or the posts referenced above in addition to the sodium silicate for those of us that use extreme heat for extended periods.