I Forge Iron

Age of Anvil

Guest j.daleperry1963

Guest j.daleperry1963

A friend gave me this anvil.  I have done some research, but because I see nothing above Armitage, I am unsure how to date.  I am told, from the old farmer who owned this (92), that the horn was broke off during the civil war to prevent its use in making horse shoes...Anyone have a good estimate of age?

post-39263-0-36846700-1365350210_thumb.j

post-39263-0-26482300-1365350249_thumb.j

That is one of the classic blacksmith urban legends; please don't spread it unless you have documented proof of it.

Age doesn't change the usability of smithing stuff much.  I have an anvil from 1828  (William Foster date stamped theirs)  works pretty much like one from the 1940's.  I use a 200 year old hammer at times too---wrought iron with a steeled face.  (dug it out from under a scrap pile in the UK once)

It also doesn't give much of a premium to things---we don't consider an anvil "collectably old" till it gets to pre-1800.  Condition is the big factor in value, even over brand in some cases.