I Forge Iron

What is a bob punch and what do they look like?

They could be any shape on the tips but usually are rounded over like a dapping punch.  They are intended to punch only partway through the workpiece so that a smaller punch can make a hole clear through and then the bob-punch depression is used to house the head of the fastener.  In horse shoeing, bob punches are sometimes used, instead of a crease, to house the heads of the horseshoe nails.  Does this help?

Purely from a farrier, shoe building perspective, the rounded bob punch is used from the ground surface of of the shoe, over the edge of the anvil or the hardy hole to push a bubble of metal to the hoof surface where it can be formed into a clip. The tool forming the recess for the nail head is usually called a forepunch or head stamp.

I have used matched top and bottom bob punches under the power hammer to round the corners on the eye that the link goes through.  This style of bob puts a radius on the corners of the hole.  I made the punches by fullering a piece of round stock top and bottom all the way round with a spring fuller the same radius that I wanted the holes radiused.  I stopped when the smaller diameter is slightly smaller than the hole diameter.  The 2 punches are then saw cut apart.