I Forge Iron

My new project

flyyoufool

I'm working on a forge. I built a burner and set it up to try it. I thought it worked fairly well. I plan to build something better to put my burner in, and i have a few changes in mind for the burner. I just figured I'd put it up and see if anyone has anything to say.

post-39375-0-57281500-1365111597_thumb.j

post-39375-0-46604900-1365111616_thumb.j

post-39375-0-30991400-1365111627_thumb.j

post-39375-0-92437800-1365111634_thumb.j

post-39375-0-41307700-1365111729_thumb.j

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in your header you might be happy to find out how many IFI members live within visiting distance.

What's the reason you put the long nipple on the air intake port of the burner?

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks.

I couldn't get a good flame without a choke. I tried the bushing, but it wasn't enough. The nipple was sitting nearby, so on it went. The flame looked how i thought it should, so i left it. It will be replaced along with that bushing, and several other things. It is definitely a work in progress.

• 2 weeks later...

A few adjustments. I changed the reducing tee, got a regulator adjustable to 30psi, and added the bricks. It is getting my stuff to a bright orange color. Fortunately, for me anyway, a guy i work with left our pressure washer on over the weekend. It has a upright burner column that i think is gonna be a perfect shell.

I found the rest in several piles of junk that I have access to. One man's trash huh? Anyway, it is better than the vise i was using.

A couple of questions; My regulator has no port for a gauge, Will it work if i pipe one in behind the reg?

Is it still possible to get a stainless flare like zoeller had?

post-39375-0-86625500-1365957852_thumb.j

post-39375-0-52828300-1365958253_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

modest improvement..
I went with the kitty litter and paint can. Mainly because it cost about 3 dollars instead of about 200 for my planned kaowool and kastolite lining. I didn't really get to put it to the test.. It still gets hot so it's good enough for now.
I made an idler, and found my forge shell.

post-39375-0-05445600-1368934726_thumb.j
post-39375-0-52282800-1368935446_thumb.j
post-39375-0-79876200-1368935337_thumb.j
post-39375-0-98625300-1368935532_thumb.j

The flame has a good shape and color so I think it's reasonably well tuned. You don't want the burner inserted nearly as far into the chamber as the first pics show. the next few look like you pulled it back, good but get it as far outside the forge chamber as you can keep it burning properly. the burners will last a lot longer.

What size mig contact tip are you using for the jet? What diameter is the burner tube?

where are you checking on Kaowool? You can wash it with straight Kaolin clay, you don't need expensive washes to toughen it up. Sure a porcelain glaze isn't going to be as efficient as ITC-100 but it's going for around $100/pint right now and I don't know about Kastolite. Google "Zirconium kiln wash" or variations you will find comparable products for reasonable.

the guys in our club are going together on a kiln wash and will let the forum know how it works for us. axner.com.copax plus.aspx

Using flat rate parcels it's going to be inexpensive enough to really line a forge. We've got out fingers crossed. ITC-100 and the others are getting just too expensive.

Frosty The Lucky.

The burner tube is 3/4",  and i believe the mig tip is .35. I would have to go look at the box. It was whatever was suggested for 3/4' burner.

I pretty much look in as many places as possible. I live in an area where it seems the stores find out what i need and make sure they don't carry it. Napa had to order a needle valve from Alabama.. The Ward reducing tee.. The one I have now came from New York. Or they have what I need and I could buy it, but they have large minimum orders. I suppose you know all about having to ship in everything you need.. Anyway.. I try to find the places that have the most things I need in one place to try to save on shipping. As of right now hightemptools.com has the most of what I need.

I have planned 2 inches kaowool covered in kastolite with ITC-100, but my plans are subject to change.. I wanted to build one that would last. and that seemed to me to be the best way to do it. 

Thanks for the advice.

jonathan

Hello, Jonathan.

On your question about the SS 3/4" flair, you can get them here:  ($16.00)

http://www.hightemptools.com/burners.html

They have all kinds of supplies.  You can also get 1/4 pint of ITC-1000 for about $20.00, Satanite for about $14.00 for 5 lbs., which should be enough to do your small forge, as it was enough to do my Freon type. You can always click on the "Refractory and knifemaking supplies" at the top of the page, then look at the bottom of the next page for the supplies they have.

Also, Laguna Clay Co. / Axner Pottery Supply has a lot of products, I got some Superwool there for about $3.00 a sq foot about two-three years ago.:

http://www.axner.com/

Looks like your on the right track, keep at it!  .

Regards,

Dennis