I Forge Iron

My first forge

Bobby T

Got it built over the weekend, typical Brake Drum Forge with an old hair dryer for air. Currently using bricks to support it when in use and taking it into the shed when not in use. I'm also gonna be using a Digging Bar as a temporary anvil until i descide to get out and look for something better. lol

pcjxaDHs.jpg 6oXRMyvs.jpg XI8LB1Gs.jpg

Looks like a good basic set up.  But is your fire grate made of sheet metal?  Its hard to tell in the photo.  If it is, I don't think it will last very long.  You might want to make something a little more substantial or get a cast iron floor drain cover.  Look forward to seeing photos of a nice fire in it.

Looks like a good basic set up.  But is your fire grate made of sheet metal?  Its hard to tell in the photo.  If it is, I don't think it will last very long.  You might want to make something a little more substantial or get a cast iron floor drain cover.  Look forward to seeing photos of a nice fire in it.

Good start. I think you'll find it more convenient to have the air pipe and blower to the side rather straight at you where it'll get in the way. Not in the way you say? Give it a chance, if a thing CAN be in the way it will be.

Almost anything will work as a forge table/stand/etc. old appliances are nice as they already have a steel body for the table, nobody cares if you punch a hole in it and it isn't going to catch fire. Old washing machines, dish washers, etc. are nearly perfect. I like top loaders myself as you can simply turn the door over and you have a nice rim to hold rammed clay/dirt for a table. S pick will make a dandy hole so the brake drum will rest on it's rim. Plumbing the air, ash dump and ash bucket inside the machine body gets it out of sight and helps control dust, etc. heck, there's plenty of room for a quench bucket and it's already a dandy shadow box too.

Frosty The Lucky.