I Forge Iron

Peter Wright Anvil

Hello,

I recently purchased this 124 lbs Peter Wright Anvil for $300. It is in excellent shape and has a very nice ring to it. Can any verify if this was a good price to pay? Can anyone tell me specifically when this Anvil might have been produced? From what I have read, it is pre 1900 since the “England” marking is missing on the side.

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

post-39303-0-60276900-1364841760_thumb.jpost-39303-0-63889400-1364841767_thumb.j

I know it's a long range with the markings your anvil has it would have been made between 1860 and 1910. Between 1885 and 1910 they were made with a single face plate (this will probably be hard to see). The lack of a "England" marking would place it pre 1910 not 1900.

A little over $2 a pound is not a bad price to pay.

I agree,you definately didn't pay too much for it. Peter Wrights are some of the best out there. I have one that is nearly identical to yours,and I paid 325 $ for it,which is a bargian here in California,and it's not in a nice of shape as yours. I did some digging on the Wright history,and on an antiquated website, I found a discussion in which the topic was discussed in detail ( sorry,can't find the  link) . I do remember that one fellow said that anvils like this one, with no "England" mark,and the word "Patent" were manufactured between 1852 and 1860. Whether that is absolute fact is up for debate , but maybe having a pre-civil war anvil is pretty special to me :)