I Forge Iron

I picked up a Parker vise for free

Earthquake

I was over at my Aunt's house and she asked me If I wanted a old vise my Uncle had, Well being the tool junkie I am of course I said yes. It a Parker from the 30-40's, I am debating weather to sand blast it and repaint it or leave it in its original patina. I have it apart to clean it up and lube it, what I like about it is it has smooth jaws, I work with a lot of aluminum and and brass.

Casey

post-35419-0-94176100-1363398370_thumb.j

post-35419-0-12374800-1363398399_thumb.j

post-35419-0-51543200-1363398413_thumb.j

The link below has lots of info and photos on various vises and their maufacturers over the years including Parker with the author's take on the better choices. He favors Parkers over all others.  There is also a link at that site to information on restoring old vises.  I have used the info for reference many times.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62716

I found out this is the same company that made Parker shotguns, which are very expensive when you can find them. Later on they were bought out by Remington.

Casey

The 'less affluent' guys that collect Parker shotguns also tend to collect the other stuff Parker made, like vises, coffee grinders, etc. My ex brother in law was one of those 'less affluent' guys.

I definitely wouldn't repaint it, and would be gentle with shining it up.

You might try the Parker Gun Collecting Association website and its forum to get more info and an idea of the value of that vise.

www.parkerguns.org/