I Forge Iron

Well, that was different, triangles

Well, it was. Finally gave in and stopped busting up cheap anthracite heating coal. Drove just left of the middle of nowhere, paid twice as much for bitumous, drove it home and fired it up.

I think I'm in love.

Very different animal. I hadn't played with it in yrs, and forgot how it clumps together.  My normal fan setting was way, way too much air, and after I turned it down, I used less than half as much coal to get the same amount of work done.

Much cooler fire, but it gave me way more control, and I could get it going strong just by moving the coke around, didn't really have to change the air speed.

The only real down side was that my tuyere screen melted. I've been using a piece of stainless steel sawblade cut to shape and drilled with a bunch of 1/4" holes for over two years.  I guess the lower air speeds allowed it to heat up more. Maybe I'll just put some rod through the pipe. Hmmmm.

Anyway, I thought while I got used to the new stuff, I'd try to make something that would be hard to mess up. So, when I finished messing that up, I made this. Sorta Dubliners/Dropkick Murphys' St. Patricks Day theme.  It's just an old triangle, goes jingle jangle, all along the banks of the Royal Canal. :)  :)

If you produce more than a few triangles, make a jig to give you shart corners. I can bend 1/2 inch stock cold and 3/4 inch stock and larger hot. A small dimple with a center punch will indicate the alignment in the jig and make for repeatability. 

Remember to put your touch mark on the triangle (grin)

Think of it as a strong bending fork.  

For cold bending

A stationary piece of 5/8 inch rod (a bolt), a dog (place to hold against) and a lever arm to fit against the bolt and against the leg to be bent. 

I have used a piece of pipe over the 1/2 inch stock for more leverage in some cases. 1/2 inch is not all that stout when you use a little leverage.

For hot bending

I have a wooden stump for the anvil. I put a piece of 3/8 in the prichel hole and a piece of 1/2 inch in the hardie hold and lightly secure them into the stump with a tap from the hammer. Dog against one and bend against the other. No find the jig, all the parts, and jig up, just a couple of rods in the anvil you already have handy. Rod sizes may vary depending on your anvil and your application.