I Forge Iron

vise needs new spring

johndeere

Hi Johndeere,

Here are two topics which solve all your Vise problems: ( At least they solved mine )

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/28479-how-i-forged-a-new-spring-for-my-leg-vise/

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/16880-question-on-repairing-the-screwbox-on-a-post-vise/?&hl=%20thread%20%20screwbox

There is also a thread where a new mount was made.

I can't find it right now, but i would suggest looking for this thread.

the new mount will help to hold the spring in place.

Screw and box are looking good, nice vise!

Any Stamps or marks on it? Dimension of jaws?

Greetz,

Hannes

No not any stamps or marks that I can find. But I am thinking it is German. I got it with a blowtorch and some wood augers both of them are German. And from what I have read and how far up the sides the side braces run it sounds like there is a good chance it is German. The jaws are 3.5 inches.

The problem im having is I dont want to change the mount its a tenon mount. I can make a clip but I"m not sure how I can make a spring.Ii only have about 5/8 of an inch between the pivot plates to fit a spring in. So I am kinda at a loss right now. If I had an idea what the spring was like on it and how it fastened to the post before I might be able to come up with something but no luck so far.

I did my first spring replacement long time before knowing this forum or other vises.

First spring was made of a 4mm spring wire. i bent both ends to 90° . Then i put one half in a vise and bent the spring to about 30° .

Now it should look like a V with bent ends. The i opened the jaws  and put the spring in place ( V upside down) . the bent ends keeps position and the v Part is strong enough to keep the jaws seperated.

It works 3 years for me now. Maybe not the prettiest option but takes almost no place and is easy to do. It also doesn´t reqire a mounting plate which holds the spring.

post-30320-0-16281300-1362684472_thumb.j

The part is in the right upper corner.

Greetz,

Hannes

I did my first spring replacement long time before knowing this forum or other vises.

First spring was made of a 4mm spring wire. i bent both ends to 90° . Then i put one half in a vise and bent the spring to about 30° .

Now it should look like a V with bent ends. The i opened the jaws  and put the spring in place ( V upside down) . the bent ends keeps position and the v Part is strong enough to keep the jaws seperated.

It works 3 years for me now. Maybe not the prettiest option but takes almost no place and is easy to do. It also doesn´t reqire a mounting plate which holds the spring.

attachicon.gifvise1152.jpg

The part is in the right upper corner.

Greetz,

Hannes

I like your idea. that way I don't need a new bracket. And it will be out of the way. Ty i think I'll give it a try.

• 1 month later...

My brother inlaw found me a compression coil spring that replaces the missing spring great. So I got the vise cleaned up and painted. Put it back together this morning. Here is a pic. Was going to add more. But for some reason I keep geting an error everytime I try to add the others.  post-35900-0-53647500-1365644163_thumb.j