I Forge Iron

Friction Bands for Craftsman Metal Cutting Band Saw

Recently acquired a Craftsman 101-22922,  3x 5 inch  stationary band saw (Atlas-Clausing) and it needs a friction band... Sears  Partsdirect wants $20 for one and I think its a little high for a rubber belt about 3/8-1/2 inch wide that will go on a  6 inch diameter wheel.... IF someone has a source for something like this or a idea for solution, I would appreciate it....

Dale

Little update here... Got a Milwaukee rubber band, its not the right one, but with a little stretching I got it on... Also got a blade, since this saw cuts on heft side instead of right side I had to flip blade inside out to get teeth pointed in correct direction... So far $40 invested and am pretty happy with it...

post-29850-0-87419400-1362804240_thumb.j

Dale

Little update here... Got a Milwaukee rubber band, its not the right one, but with a little stretching I got it on... Also got a blade, since this saw cuts on heft side instead of right side I had to flip blade inside out to get teeth pointed in correct direction... So far $40 invested and am pretty happy with it...

attachicon.gifBandsaw001.jpg

Dale

I bought a little Sears saw that looked like that back in the early 70's .  Very nice little saw for a small shop.   Sold mine when I got a bigger one .   Haven't thought about it for a while.  Seems like it had an open reduction gear drive.   That the one ?   If so how has the gear held up ?   I kept mine well oiled and seemed to work well enough.  If it seems to be the same machine I will look and see if I still have the manual.  

Well happy to say,  Clausing  is the manufacturer, and they were nice enough to send me a manual (PDF file) and  I have new friction band on saw,  new blade, got "O" rings for hydraulic dampener rebuild... Oiled up all the bearing and shafts, cleaned wasps out of motor (now it runs proper - not like motor full of dirt)  and did some tinkering and adjusting and new electrical cord and switch..... Have about a total of $100 into the beast and am very happy with it.... Still ahead of the game over purchasing some cheap Chinese junk.... And yes it has a "open drive" arrangement (exposed "V" belt) but does not seem to be issue...

Dale

Clausing is a good company, they believe in backing their products no matter under who's name.

In a pinch you can stretch a piece of small inner tube over the wheel for a friction band. Not optimum but works in a pinch.

Glad you got the proper parts.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've got the same saw and went through the same teeth facing backwards issue.  After I flipped the blade around, it cut much better! 

IMG_0082_zpsc638b93a.jpg

I have a sheet of information and tips someone else wrote up on how to adjust these saws.  If you would like it, PM me with your email and I'll send it to you.