I Forge Iron

kirby blower

BobbyC

I started out with the lower unit of an upright vacuum as my blower.

I used one of the cheap overhead light dimmers for control.

I was told that it wouldn't work for long, but it was still going when I got my real blower (2 or 3 years at least).

It wasn't pretty, but it did the trick.

• 2 months later...

The only draw back to Kirtby vacuum as a blower is the design of actual system.... VACUUMS tend to be noisier sucking air and pushing it out discharge  than a blower designed to actually PUSH air ....  Has something to do with impellers or blade styles/design....

Will it work, you bet, will you be happy with the noise, only you will know....

The HF router speed control has been used for many applications other than just routers, it will be more robust than using lamp dimmer... Its all about electrical rating of motor you are running and "whatever " the ratings are on any particular controller you are using....  High amperage (wattage) motors and low rating on controller usually end up in controller going "poof"....

Actually something as small as a hair dryer with heating element disconnected  will probable supply enough air and with motor/blower only, it will be  well below amperage rating of "dimmer" switch... Think if you scale blower size down a bit you will be happier...

Dale