I Forge Iron

excessive oil in hammer valving

Hey y'all,

So I was in the middle of a long run of leaves today, when all of a sudden my hammer got very, very sloppy. I looked up and saw a maelstrom of oil and gunk all over the shaft of my air cylinder (I have an early phoenix hammer by-the-bye). After some investigation, it seems as if my oiler adjustment knob just decided to back it self completely out. So.... my question to all you utility hammer savvy folks, is what sort of solvent or other type of remediation should I use to clean out my five way valve. It looks as if all the oil settled to the bottom of the thing. I know norgren uses lots of sensitive plastic bits in their valves so I was wondering what might be ok to clean them with? Denatured alcohol? It would be nice If I didn't have to spend tomorrow morning disassembling all the plumbing of my hammer, so if I could just open up the valve in situ, drain what ever oil that has collected and spray some alcohol into the recesses I'd love to know in advance. Thanks a bunch, Take care, Matt 

All that is in your valve is a couple of "O" rings. Alcohol will work fine. The limit switch may be a little sluggish for a while. Try the alcohol and run it without the oiler for bit until the oil coming out the exhaust diminishes and things should start to clear up.

clean it with air. take the lines off the cylinder, open the  valve and blow it out cycle the valve the other way and blow that set of passages out. do all this with the oiler off of course. put er back together should be good to go.

An automotive product "Brake Klean" works well for removing oily residue. Spray on the Brake Klean, let it sit a few seconds (10-20) and wipe it down with a clean rag (or old plaid shirt or T-shirt). The insides of the plumbing will clean itself and the excess will come out the exhaust. Remember, "If it ain't drippin', it doesn't have enough lubrication!!" (a famous quote, from a famous person, who is no longer with us). :) :)

Neil