I Forge Iron

Help, Is this a good deal???

bipolarandy

I met a guy today that happen's to have a power hammer for sale. Not knowing much about powerhammers or what they go for, i thought id ask here.
Its a 50# Little giant, Newly refurbished , with a 3 phase 2 3/4 hp motor on it.
It has one set of dies, no brake, and its mounted on 4x4's.
And he said it was in fine working condition.
He is asking $4000 for it, is this a good deal? Whatda think?

-Andrei

Make your own phase converter , or just swap motors. I think if I were you I would want someone who was familiar w/ power hammers to check it over for you and make sure that refurbished, and fine working condition mean the same thing to both of you.
Which little giant is it? Ie.. old style, new style, wisconsin, etc...
I bought a reconditioned fifty pound meyer brothers little giant fifty last week for $2200.00 without a motor.

Andrei, If it's local and you can transport it yourself that's a big plus. If you have to have it shipped that can up the total cost quite a bit. Can you see it in operation before you buy? (take along someone familiar with these for the test drive). Reconditioned little giants are available and yes, they cost a few bucks as in $3500-$4000. I would do as much research as possible. If you don't care what brand of hammer you use then build one youself and for that money you'll have enough for a decent compressor too. If what you really want is a little giant, then find someone who actually has one and uses it and like I said, take them along with you to see it. Good luck:). Dan.

thanks for all the help guys, I still need to see pictures before any decision will be made (he said they'd be sent in a few weeks), i may even take a drive down to his shop and see it up close, he only lives about 3 hours away.

Bruce makes a good point, if your just buying a piece of equipment for no other reason then to "have" it, your wasting alot of money, which, i think many people get caught up in the "o i gotta buy this cause it will make me a better blacksmith" mode.

Dan, are you going to come out to the Niagara Region Picnic and Hammer-In, in august?
Its a two day thing, and we camp out on the amherst museums lawn. Theres demos and forging contests, and people tailgate stuff, its a good time.

-andrei