I Forge Iron

help grinding rounding hammer faces

ironsmith

hey all,

so far i have made 11 rounding hammers. I am fairly happy with how well i make them, all except the final grind on the shape of the

rounding face.

If you guys could give some pointers as to how you finish the grind on the face  especially the edges, i would appreciate it.

Thanks!

I've never dressed the face of a rounding hammer, but I use varying grits of flap discs in an angle grinder to finish my hammer faces.  I lock the hammer in a vise and use the flap disc to shape and polish whatever kind of face profile I'm going for.  Making the hammer stationary allows you to see all parts of the face as you're working it with the flap disc, which I've found makes it a little easier to get a more even and accurate finish.  I had to dress about 30 hammer faces one day for a group of students, and I was able to dress and polish all the faces within half an hour. 

I use belt sanders. I use progressively finer grits and I rock the hammer across the belt and finish on the slack portion of the belt. hold the hammer head perpendicular to the belt and start at about 30 degrees above or below 90 degrees to the belt and rock it up and down going to the opposite angle to the one you started with. Turn the hammer 90 degrees and do it again. once you have the rough shape started you will then have to start to angle the hammer left and right to maintain contact with the belt as the radius grows.

Greetings Ironsmith,

Yep the flex or slack side of a belt sander works the best..   Buuttt  if all you have to work with is angle grinders I suggest that you look at a new way..

Mount your angle grinder in a wood vise with your flap disc (aprox 80 grit on a new disc) and take the hammer to the grind surface... You will find that you can see the work being done much better and less flat spots...  Keep in mind the radius of the disc.. The closer you get to center the less grind and on the outer radius you get more flex... I have done a bunch like this with great results...

Hammer hard and have fun

Jim

I have used flap wheels as well as belt grinder with varying degrees of success for each. Also, be aware of the radius of the face. You don't want an even radius across the face. A good rounder has a multitude of radii  depending on the angle of the blows. larger or flatter straight on in the center gradually getting smaller or more curved, finally rounding  over the edge.

YMMV ;)

Scott