I Forge Iron

Redco gas forge

OleDog

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and I have a question about the Redco propane forge made by Redco/Reeves Eng., Wichita I have that needs new mantles. I bought it used several years ago and the firebox mantles were burned up then; they haven't gotten any better. rolleyes.gif I should have replaced them when I bought it, but decided to wait. There was a kit available then that had the brick and epoxy to hold the brick in place. Now, Redco/Reeves has gone out of business. mad.gif Any ideas where I can get new mantles? I'd imagine that they bought the firebrick, but don't know for sure. The firebox is 7" x 22.5".  I didn't measure the mantles but I can if I can locate a supplier

Thanks

OleDog

post-33280-0-69095600-1360904751_thumb.j

post-33280-0-53122300-1360904811_thumb.j

post-33280-0-11402300-1360904878_thumb.j

I would shoot for some hard firebrick splits or kiln shelves.  Those can be found at pottery suppliers, some brick and block suppliers, and maybe a fireplace/boiler company.  You can also order them online easily, but they're rather heavy so shipping could cost a fair amount.  You'll want something hard and durable for the floor of your firebox, if you will actually be resting metal on it.  If that's what you're aiming for then some hard firebrick or kiln shelf would be the way to go.

Welcome aboard Ole dog, glad to have you.

I was thrown by "mantles" at first but think I have your meaning winkled out. First I'd get hold of the Johnson Gas Appliance guys and ask them. johnsongas.com/

It may not be their forge but they have very similar ones and I'm sure can help you out. Failing that just buy the fire brick and furnace cement you need and give it a shot. Buy the 3,000f hard brick not the soft brick. Soft brick doesn't like thermal shock and is otherwise soft and vulnerable to gouging or worse.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 years later...