I Forge Iron

pics of lathe (from my new toy)

matto

Matto,  That long screw that runs parallel to and below the lathe bed is a lead screw that engages with the carraige to cut threads.  The headstock has two gears on it, the large one (called a bull gear) could be part of a back gear drive along with the smaller one.  There would have been a small gear at the end of the spindle along with a bunch of change gears would move the carraige at different thread per inch.  So I think you are missing the change gears and the bracket/linkage that attaches them to the headstock to drive the lead screw.  You are also missing the back gear drive assembly.

Thanks ciladog, do you know of pics of what the back gear drive assembly might look like?? any change gears i can try to remake if i know what they look like.

Watch this video.  It is about an early screw cutting teadle lathe.  It is no where near as old as yours but will explain the parts that are missing.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2296983856/