I Forge Iron

#150 Sheffield Anvil ??

I am looking at a #150 Sheffield Anvil for $225. It's advertised as between 1854-1875 hand forged in Sheffield. Appears to be stamped "Sheffield" Damage to the face that could easily be repaired.
The face looks stepped and quite ugly. The forging is rough.
The stamping looks like it was done recently.
Is this a "Vulcan works" anvil from the 19th century?
Is this a paperweight, stamped to look old?
My head seems to be telling me to run..
Any advice (ie.. Hold out for a beauty)
Price is certainly an object, and here in Toronto, under $2/lb is tough.

post-31885-0-90816800-1360080045_thumb.j

post-31885-0-53723400-1360080124_thumb.j

post-31885-0-85230300-1360080143_thumb.j

post-31885-0-20216800-1360080166_thumb.j

Have him send you pics of the face from a top view and a even side view to asses to sway and other damage. You will have to access the costs to fix that face properly with hard facing rods, even if you have a arc welder and are doing it yourself. My father is a Contractor in the GTA and a welder charges as a absolute minimum $60/hr. If you are planning on having someone else weld it count that in.  

The anvil itself is tool steel on wrought iron, and the face can still be loose around the area where the large piece came off.

We have a Sheffield Vulcan at the Peleg Fields Shop in The Farmers' Museum, Cooperstown.  It is shown in our blog:

http://ruralblacksmith.blogspot.com/2011/02/old-anvils.html

Ours is an early transitional anvil.  Hand forged and not as chunky as an early Mousehole anvil, but not as streamlined as a Peter Wright London pattern.

Since it is an early anvil we only use it for light work.  Ours is around 120-130lbs.

-Steve

It's a "real" anvil but in poor condition.  That missing face is like buying a car with an engine that threw a rod.  Not an easy fast or cheap fix.  However it is fixable if you want to put the time and effort into it---read up on the Robb Gunter method of anvil repair; there's more to it than just burning some rod on it!

Thanks.. I'm passing on the anvil.
I'm good at visual inspection. I feel a bit embarrassed suggesting a ball bearing rebound test.. But hey.. It's my money right?
My follow up question.. And I'll be sure to read the huge wealth of info online..
What are the easiest and best way(s) to identify a good anvil from a bad?