I Forge Iron

First RR knife attempted

Pault17

I just finished up this first attempt - although I need to harden (as much as possible, temper (if there is such a thing for a RR knife) and sharpen it.
I had no idea where this one was going. I was showing my kid brother how much fun it could be working with RR spikes. This is how it ended up.

smack me around and let me know what should come next?

IMG_3963.JPG

If you started with a spike stamped HC (not CU) it will be at the very lowest bound of medium carbon steel---at best.

Quench in superquench (google for it); don't need to draw temper.

That shape would have been easily forged from car coil spring which is a decent knife alloy and generally can be found for free as well---I'm down on RR spikes for knives.

i have not hammered any spikes so cant add anything there. have always heard spikes are good carbon steel. we have tons of them laying around here because this is a railroad town so i must try a few sometime.
anyway great looking knife. keep up the fine hammering.:D
buzz

A lot of people spreading that around---I go with what are the specs for the material: "Specifications for high carbon steel track spikes 1968. Carbon not greater than 0.30%" cite below:

American Railway Engineering Association's Specifications for Soft-Steel Track S
pikes. Original document, 1926, revised last in 1968

Two classes of track spikes are given specifications, both low carbon and high c
arbon. Two sizes of track spike are identified, one of 5/8 inch square shaft and
one of 9/16 inch.

Page 5-2-1. "A low carbon track spike will not contain greater than 0.12% carbon
nor greater than 0.20% copper.

Page 5-2-2 Section 11. Marking. A letter or brand indicating the manufacturer sh
all be pressed on the head of each spike while it is being formed. When copper is specified, the letters "CU" shall be added.

Page 5-2-3: Specifications for high carbon steel track spikes 1968. Carbon not g
reater than 0.30%, nor greater than 0.20% copper.

Page 5-2-5 Section 11. Marking: A letter or brand indicating manufacturer and al
so the letters "HC" indicating high carbon, shall be pressed on the head of each
spike while it is being formed. When copper is specified, the letters "CU" shal
l be added."

So it is a good carbon steel just not a HIGH carbon steel, very lowest bound of medium carbon steel---at best.

great info. this spells the end of the urban legend of spike steel. i never thought
to check this out before.
that is why i stay tuned to iforgeiron. somebody knows what is what around here.
makes a lot more sense to hunt up some coil spring steel.
buzz

What happened to the head of the spike? Most people buy them for the "Hey, its a railroad spike made into a knife" appeal. Also, the head makes a cool pommel, without any extra work.

Still a knice knife, although I would have used something with more carbon, and added some easy scale handles.

keep on hammerin! Maybe the next one can have the head intact. Or Not.

That's the beauty of forging, you can always mix it up like YOU want it to look.

I made my first ever spike knife a couple evenings ago too. Never was in to knifemaking much and still don't intend to go there, but my son brought by a bucket full of spikes he had picked up and insisted that I make one of the HC ones into a knife for him.

2681.attach