I Forge Iron

Silver MFG drill value

Hi folks, I just bought a Silver MFG drill on eBay for a mere £32. I have no idea as to it's actual value but I can't believe it's only worth £32. Can anyone give me an idea as to it's true value?  I don't want to sell it or anything, I'm just curious, I'd love it even if it was worth 32p.

Here's the pictures from the auction. It needs a bit of love to get it back into tip top condition. The seller thought dates from around 1900 and he thought the numbers "513" cast into the handwheel could be a model number. Any help would be appreciated,

post-26685-0-08862900-1359575816_thumb.j

post-26685-0-10527100-1359575828_thumb.j

post-26685-0-56148900-1359575840_thumb.j

what i have found is hand cranked drill presses dont go for much ... 150.00 is about max for what they sell for at least where i have been ... ive seen them for sale for more but..... there is one on the local craigs list that has been for sale on and off for 4 years at 300.00 ...still for sale... the hand crank drill presses were at one time fairly popular but nowadays electric drill presses are readily available fairly cheap so not a lot of call for the old hand crank version... 

I had that same Silver drill press a few years ago but it had some badly worn bearings on the crank It still worked so I never got around to fixing it. I did end up giving it to a guy to put in a museum when I got a larger Columbia that I use now. I honestly don't know what it is worth they usually sell for next to nothing to maybe 75 dollars for a nice one around here.

Sounds like i paid around the right amount then. Still seems very cheap to me though when you consider their age, how good looking they are etc. Mind you that could be because of the prices i'm used to seeing in my disgustingly expensive corner of England. E.g my 124kg anvil in decent condition frm the scrap merchant was £100, the exact same one frm the salvage yard was £400.
I suppose this shows this difference between usefulness value & aesthetic value. Even now knowing that the going rate for these drills is pretty low i'd still pay more because i love the design.

• 11 months later...

Hi Joel.

That looks like a Silver No.2 to me.

I think the Silvers are beautiful. If it wasn't going to a museum I would have repaired it and kept it.

I agree. I nearly bought a Silver No.22 a few years ago, but had to let it go. I've just bought a No.14 but haven't taken delivery of it yet (I think I may regret my purchase when I find out shipping costs - the thing is huge at around 240lb - 110kg)

Cheers,  Vann.