I Forge Iron

Rust on anvils

I was clearing up and doing a bit of painting around the shop today. I noticed that the two Rhino anvils seem to rust less than my Brooks and less than some of my loose tools. Would that be because of the nickel and chromium in the alloy of the Rhino anvils?

All the stuff is in the same shop, same humidity and temperature etc.

Funny: I was just noticing the same thing with my Papa Rhino and my old Hay Budden. I'm in the Oregon Coast Range and EVERYTHING rusts. I usually cover my anvils at night but forgot to the other day and was out of my shop for a couple of days. the Rhino was still shiny and lots of other things in shop were not!!

After checking, they are cast from a tool steel.  The addition of the nickle and chromium retards rust somewhat compaired to simple carbon steels.  It should be noted that steel doesn't become stainless until it reaches 13% chromium.   It didn't come out and say but it's probably a 41XX series.

I don't think we have enough info to speculate on what series steel it is. I know they are "as hard as a mother in law's heart and as tough as a mother in law's tongue". They are not alloyed to anything like the levels of stainless of course.